Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The Google Evil or Not Site  (View post)

Shrivas Vasudevan [PersonRank 1]

Friday, January 13, 2006
18 years ago

That chart says 'Last month's trends', but shows the trend from July of 2005 to this month... Odd.

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Can it correlate to "Microsoft is Evil" trends? If Google and MSFT correlate positively, it might just suggest an ever growing paranoid world, as opposed to Google emerging as the "Do Most Evil" company ....]:) (That's suppose to be an Evil smiley! See the horns?)

Ugo Cei [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Shrivas: Since the website was opened yesterday, it's not odd that data is rather limited at this point :)

Justin: Doing the same for Microsoft or, say, Yahoo or Apple, is on my radar.

Shrivas Vasudevan [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Uh... Think you misunderstood me, Ugo. I wasn't talking about the limited data, but the fact that it says 'Last Month's Trend' but shows the trend for the last six months. I see you've corrected that already on your site, sorry about that. But over here the old chart's still showing. (from 7-18-05 to 1-12-05, instead of the 01-11-05 to 01-12-05).

Andrei [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

By the way this site is designed it means that google can only be 0% evil or more. They should have a negative evilness option as well, as google can also do angelic stuff.

Shawn [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Andrei has a damn good point. Part of the love of Google (versus hate of Microsoft) stems from this exact thing. Microsoft's normal good product is a benign, innocent, harmless program that can do 10 things, with only 1 security hole, and only minor bugs. Google's normal product can dance 15 ways from Sunday, has been beta-tested strongly, and fits a daily need in a very intelligent, efficient manner. It's this "negative evilness," as Andrei so appropriately put it, that has launched Google to the top of the respectability charts. Sure they're in bed with AOL (cue boos), but so far they balance minor evil with major beauty.

All that to say, I quite agree. :-)

Dan Harple [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The Google "Do No Evil" soundbyte grows thinner and thinner as the company reaches monopolisitic proportions. Inevitable "evil" follows as a startup quickly becomes a gorilla- in the fundamental way that partners are treated, competitors are crushed, new competing technologies are rendered obsolete by a half-baked "Beta." Google is great, but it is time to counter-act the Kool-Aid, to reflect its current leadership status. The Google ethos was admirable, but needs updating.

Neitzsche's "Beyond Good and Evil" provides a substrate-
Because Nietzsche does not see the truth as a simple, two-dimensional picture, he cannot represent it accurately with a simple linear sketch. Nietzsche sees the world as complex and three-dimensional: more like a hologram than a two-dimensional picture. And just as a hologram is a three-dimensional image made up of infinitesimal two- dimensional fragments, each approximating the whole, Nietzsche presents his worldview in a series of two-dimensional aphorisms, each approximating a more complex worldview.
(http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/beyondgood/section1.html)

dan[put at-character here]harple.com
www.dlhsport.com

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ugo : Good show. this is interesting. Have Subscibed!! It will be interesting to note. You better get MSFT / APPLE and YAHOO also into this blog. and then do a match up!!!

Andrei : Negative Evil would mean postivie spin correct ?? Like when we have negcash flow, means surplus $$$ in the slushfund :)- So if this be the case, i'll vote for ugo also have negative levels to indicate community dynamics of angelic stuff to

all in all an interesting dialouge

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

shoooottt...no RSS ??? dang, I'll retract my statement above!! cant sub to this site :(-

Ugo Cei [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Andrei: the way I designed it, "0% evil" means "100% good". You can also interpret "50% evil" as "as much evil as good". Using percentages, I find it more natural this way, but if enough people agree with you, chaning it is as easy as subtracting 50% from all values.

/pd: an RSS feed could be useful if I could find a way to put evilness values in there, otherwise it would just be an aggregation of blog posts about google. Maybe I could just put the voting form inside the feed, but I wouldn't know how to avoid repeat votes.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

ugo : How about aggregation of the sumvalue once a day ?? take a foot print once a day.. and spawn an rss feed with blurb ? Once you have MSFT/YAHO and whatnot, it will give a daily comparsion...just throwing ideas around here

Andrei [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

quote: can also interpret "50% evil" as "as much evil as good"

It doesn't seem natural to me for a thing to be both evil and good, I think these are mutually exclusive.

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

To determine whether Google is "Evil" or "Not Evil", you came up with a model or scale of 0% evil to 100%evil. This model collects data only on the extent of Evil of Google but the data on the extent of "NOT Evil" is absent or suppressed (ie 0% "Not Evil" to 100% "Not Evil"). For unbiased and nuetral interpretation, you need both scales. By your current scale or model, the only way Google can earn points to be a "Not Evil" company is when every voter votes 0% evil. Just one voter voting anything greater than 0% evil is enough for Google to earn a name as an "Evil" company. The model does not represent what you say it represents. It surely says much about your biased and misleading (evil?) motive for this project. 10% "Evil" is not 90% "Good"!! Are you not a Microsoft person posing as a neutral person?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

In Ugo's defense, I think his site is a (half scientific, half satirical) take on the question that is asked over and over in newspapers, magazines, blogs and such: "Does this make Google evil?"... "Now isn't this going against Google's motto?"... "Does this mean Google is now evil?" and so on. I don't think anybody ever said, "I think finally this product release makes Google a good company."

R. Neal [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Microsoft products work the same around the world for good or bad.
You cannot say the same about Google. Do a search or use one of their
products in the USA and get your results but do the samething in Europe, Asia, or China and get nothing or very diffrent results.

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You don't want geotargetted search results?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!