Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Calendar is OFFICIALLY OUT!!!

OREO [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, April 13, 2006
18 years ago6,794 views

www.google.com/calendar/ – FINALLY!!! What do you guys think of it?

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

absolutely love it.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Seriously. http://www.google.com/googlecalendar/overview.html

It is the nicest online calendar I have ever seen. There are more features (like the entire Gmail intergration) that I read about in the overview and the tour that apparently aren't working yet.. I'll give it a few more minutes/hours... but so far it is amazing.

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

http://www.google.com/googlecalendar/tour5.html

Sharing! So ****** cool. But as usual, the services seems out of order, to many people are trying it

18 years ago #

+ Okay, where is the "Export to my PDA function"?
+ Garett, you had the wrong logo (http://www.google.com/calendar/images/calendar_sm2.gif)
- Hmm, when you share your calendar, you can not make events "Real private". you sharing partners always see all. http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=34580
+ Quick add just rocks! Eg: Blog in Philipps blog 8am-11pm today

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yep it's way too slow now. my friend and I are trying to "share" our calendars, but it's NOT working! also, none of the gmail features are working yet. I think Google is still rolling the service out. There isn't a release about it yet or anything on Google.. It will be coming more a live soon hopefully..

18 years ago #

Uhh, sharing looks bad:
Making your calendar public will make all events visible to the world, including via Google search. Are you sure?

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I noticed that Corsin :) I'm glad I was wrong hehe

18 years ago #

So do I :o)

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Thanks.....:)

Hurry up!!!!!!!!!!! Before you see this message again....

"Sorry, we are unable to offer new accounts today. We appreciate your interest and invite you to add your Gmail address to our wait list. We'll let you know when we've enabled your account. — The Google Calendar team"

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

So slow. You think they could throw a few thousand machines behind it with no sweat... oh well.

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Wow! This thing is awesome. The abilty to layer you calendars and have different colors for each is soooo fantastic. I see they can send you notifications too via phone. And the quick event is so easy. Great job goog.

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Anyone have any idea if the SMS notifications are charged?

Google is pretty vague on the issue: -

"Is receiving reminders by SMS free?

Your mobile service provider may charge you for the SMS messages you receive. Additionally, Your operator may charge you for outgoing SMS messages. If you have any questions about the rate, please contact your operator for more information. "

Overall, I like the simplicity of Google Calendar. Many bloggers are complaining that Google hasn't included the kitchen sink in the beta version which I think is slightly unfair given that it is a first release. However, I would love future versions to have some synchronisation with either other offline Calendar apps (Sunbird, Outlook) or with a version of Google Calendar that is offline.

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

btw...I'm in the UK and on Orange... if that makes any difference.

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Somebody should create a holidays calendar to share :).

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Utills I just saw a comment on techcrunch.com that says its us only right now.

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ah thanks.

Create Holidays calendar?...

There's a whole list in the "Other Calendars" section. Its got all sorts of calendars from religious to national holidays.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

They don't have SMS for Verizon. What a shame!

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Not all the Calendar features have rolled out yet. I'm assuming once google says anything about it or add it to their services http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/ it will work better. I can already tell this morning that it is far better than it was last night when it first launched. However, some features are still working slowly and not like the description on the help section.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yeah the whole Gmail thing still isn't working well (or at all visible).

The race is on now... who can made a module for the Google homepage to show your upcoming events?

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The integration potential here is amazing. It is a shame that Google having started with more, but I guess they may work on it later.

For instance: If you are on holiday – automatically set up a vacation responder for you gmail. (or at least give you the option to).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!