Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Calendar Goes Live  (View post)

didaio [PersonRank 2]

Thursday, April 13, 2006
18 years ago16,163 views

I see "Calendar is unavailable right now, please try again in a few moments" after login :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yep, getting the same here now too...

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Error com.google.calendar.server.CalendarException when you try to import an iCal to Thunderbird without that it is shared.

I love Java :)

Philipp, I could import your calendar without problems to Thunderbird (http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?image=calpl6kn.jpg). So this seems to work.
Next I _really_ want, is a synch function with PocketPC.

18 years ago #

Chris Sherman writes:

<<Gmail users will find a new feature that recognizes events in mail messages and gives you an opportunity to add the event to your Google Calendar.>>
http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3598681

I couldn't reproduce this. I sent myself an email with the text "You have an appointment with your girlfriend tomorrow 14:00 in
Stuttgart Philipp pls go". There was no auto-recognition in Gmail of any kind...

18 years ago #

>> Error com.google.calendar.server.CalendarException

It's kinda rare to see Google expose their errors in such a way...

elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think the google Calendar is having problem by Easter Time.

I was just trying to add easter and some summer vacation and oops error.

I hope it will be back before sunday.

Happy easter --- Google

Freelancer [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I exported my Y!Calendar and imported it into Google Calendar no problem.
Now, I tried the quick add feature and find it not complete yet. An example: "John's birthday June 4th.", i would expect to be able to have an automatic repetition of this event (as it is – yearly) but I've found no word combination that would achieve this.
Now, there is Phone Notification feature for USA, that is fun!

v1ncent [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

http://www.google.com/googlecalendar/event_publisher_guide.html

Its get better

18 years ago #

I'm now getting a JavaScript error alert, "TypeError: c has no properties." A lot of things don't work right now.
http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-calendar/error.png

Randall [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Is it just me, or does it not work anymore? I had it earlier, but now when I go to the main URL it takes forever to load and then sends me to the Google accounts login (which then directs me to the main Google Accounts settings). Anyone else getting this problem?

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Wahey! FInally in.

Notice those "Google Links" have come alive with this release. And it is not "in" gmail just like gmail.

Awesome.

18 years ago #

Notice on the settings in Firefox the tabs at the top don't quite tough the main area. There is a thin strip of the bright orange. Hopefully not a sign that this was rushed...

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

I tried importing my 30boxes but all of the items appeared on Google Calendar about 8 hours later or so than they should have been. I tried CSV and iCal format. Is it because of time differences?

18 years ago #

Jack: I got the same. Luckily I didn't have many events so I have just deleted (or edited) them all. The whole thing just crashed on me though. Saying it couldn't save the changes.

The reapeating event function is really smart. You can set it up and then edit each on individually.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Reminds me a lot of Kiko http://www.kiko.com/ especially the Quick entry

Win Iden [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Looks good so far, just what I expected from a Google calendar service. Already noticing some missing features though (like multiple alarms), but nothing that is glaring. Basically what I'd expect from a web service. The real power of this, I can tell already, is the ability to use it as a personal iCal server, with varying levels of public and private sharing. I'm already integrating it with Sunbird at home and Thunderbird at work. Good stuff.

18 years ago #

Splasho: I think a lot of the online calendars have been working on the quick entry. Spongecell does it. So does 30 boxes.

Aletta [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Hi all, this is from Hungary, Europe. It took me about 3 logins, but I'm in now, and so far everything seems to be working perfectly OK. And fast, too – just like gmail!

It was a looooong wait, but well worth it :=) Hurray Google!

David [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Anyone know why Verizon Wireless is missing from the SMS reminder vendors?

Otherwise, very slick.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I get a message stating that Google Calendar doesn't support IE 7.0.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yep Sam, I wasn't accusing Google of copying, just saying it felt similar. (I guess you can't revolutionise the calendar as much as you can mail)

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Calendar is slick. I got in when it just launched, and at first it seems the features were being rolled out. Everything was not up yet. Now, it works nice, and I'm sure will be getting better.

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'd like continue to explore linking my calendar with other people. I like what i'm seeing with the Calendar so far. Imagine being apart of a new company that runs just off google products? Right now, I'm working so hard to start Openyard.com.. Google runs the mail (http://mail.openyard.com).. Google runs the calendar?? maybe.. Google does my lead generation with Froogle and the manages the transactions with Google Buy ;) I'm enjoying there this is going.

18 years ago #

Wow!! This calendar is slick! It seems to be working just fine. Now if they could just intergrate it into gmail....

18 years ago #

I think they need to add that links thing to Calendar activated Gmail accounts. There should also be a link to Google Pages if the user uses it – since that is Gmail only too.

Christoph Wagner [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Hm, lookslike its a bit slow sometimes...
And it has importing problems, when I added my 30boxes events, everything was fine.
Then I added an event and everything was gone. So I tried importing via CSV. Still, everthing away. So I added another event. Everything was back again, but there were differences in the CSV and the ical import from up to 1 day.

Otherwise it looks fine!

18 years ago #

What is this "show me as" field. At first I thought it was something really awesome like it would change my Google Talk status to "busy" during the event. But I don't think it is that.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If there is no integration with the gmail then theres a problem..a big one!!

right now I am unable to get to my calendar even thu I have created and setup my timezone.. when i sign in it takes me to my account pages.. whats with that ??

18 years ago #

I think that the calendar team have forgotten to tell the Gmail guys to add the Gmail integration bit on at the Gmail end.

Although it is documented in the GCal help pages – there is nothing in Gmail.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

was working well for me for a few minutes... first sign of trouble was when I sent myself the SMS verification. After that, nothing has worked! It also double added one of the calendars that I created and takes about 5 minutes for them to show up!

Corsin Camichel : Maybe you and I should get together and write an app that'll take the private RSS and sync it to our pocket PCs! That is one of the most important features to me!

VanJ [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

When will we see Upcoming.org integration?

Oh, that's Yahoo... sorry

Freelancer [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

*Cannot integrate the calendar into the Personalized Home? Why, oh why?

Justine, imagine: Beta, Beta, Beta, Beta... good night and good luck.

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Over on Charlene's blog she had a screenshot of some Gmail integration (I think an event in mail showing up on the right-hand side). Right now it's being simultaneously dugg and slashdotted, but after that massive load subsides I expect things to be quite snappy. I'll pass on the feature requests, but there's also a Google Groups discussion group too. Um, wait... here it is:
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Calendar-Help/

HarryC [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The save button in the "edit event details" page doesn't work for me...

Anyone else got similar troubles?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

while responding to event invite!!

"Sorry, nothing to read here. Try Google News if you're bored. "

Its a great inteface however.

18 years ago #

I would like to see event descriptions in the bubble pop ups. I would also like to be able to click somewhere on the day in the main calendar view to get taken to the day view for that day.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'd like to receive Calendar notification in Google Talk (/Gmail Chat).
It would be the most useful solution.

Matt Casey [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Sam: Click on the column header (e.g. "Thu 4/13") and it will take you to the day view. Clicking within the calendar schedules a new event.

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think Gmail integration (when it's done) isn't going to work for me because neither Package Tracking nor Map integrations are working (also I see no ads in my messages).

Phil [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Okay, so it's been a while, but I can't resist the tradition... :-)

Rough Google Calender Class and Function Reference:

http://stuff.rancidbacon.com/google-calendar/hack/

I've also included a bookmarklet in the above page to allow you to "Add Another Date Picker" to the Google Calendar navigation bar as a proof of concept.

--Phil.

18 years ago #

Matt: Doesn't work from Month View. But thanks all the same.

Jesse [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I guarantee this won't work very well for about 3 months

and yes, I got in and it worked fine, though I've never used a calendar and I never really planned on using this one either

18 years ago #

> I think that the calendar team have forgotten
> to tell the Gmail guys to add the Gmail integration
> bit on at the Gmail end.

teheheheheh......

And Matt thanks for the pointer!

greent [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Although google calendar allows users to view by day, week, or month, it is useful to also be able to view by <b>year</b> as well. Haven't seen anything so far on how to do this. Please share, if anyone knows or has info on this...

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Gotta try it out at home...School computers are just toooooooo slow..

Peekay [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Anyone know how to find out the URL of one calendar (I've got three set up, one with full public sharinf set) to share?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Any idea why the product is ad free ?? this is googles first product that has no ad's layered onto it.. is this a slip or a by design ??

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is so awesome. :-) Well worth the wait. Google Calendar is the best, True Dat, DOUBLE TRUE!!!

18 years ago #

How would you put content sensitive ad's into a calendar?? That's probably why they didn't yet.

18 years ago #

/pd: if you look on the blog of Charlene as Matt Cutt says above you will see that value for Google may be in the sticky factor of it OR by adding in some adverts to events pages later.

Kirby: Google can get ads in anywhere – don't worry about that.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yeah Kirby, but have you checked out the location /map link ? Ads' are layered onto the map..!!

18 years ago #

Google Blog now has a post. I love the last line of it:

"We thought it was about time to let you take a look"

Is that written expecially for all us guys who have been harping on about the calendar for a good few months?

18 years ago #

Yep, I think they may well add AdWords later on. I think they could even be relevant... when the event is "Fly to Chicago for business meeting on May 1st" the ad could be "Our Chicago restaurant offers you the best food in relaxed environment. Ideal after stressful business meeting..."

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

well they must be upto something (new) ??

Right now, there is no revenue model at all (at least visiable)

18 years ago #

yea. i guess your right.. /pd.. google can put ads anywhere.

Brad [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Hey... us Mac people actually get something cool first!

Since you can subscribe to you calendars in .ics clients like iCal, and since iCal can push its data out to the iPod, I've already got my Google Calendar in a mobile device.

Now if only Gmail Contacts could make my addresses available to Address Book via LDAP, all of my PIM utilities will be completely Googlified.

Lawrence Runacres [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

This is sooo weird!

I actually had a dream last night that CL2 would be released today!

I wake up, and here it is!

Crazy beans.

PS: I quite like it so far, although I'm only really using the simple features.

Arjun Prabhu [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

did you notice the Google blog – posting time on bloglines ?

"Posted on: Thu, Apr 6 2006 11:32 PM" ... which means, they were kind of ready to go around a week back!

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

what about a button on the toolbar? how is it this doesnt show up in gmail?

Brad [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

...and the one thing the service is missing (aside from the fact that Verizon is inexplicably not in the list for SMS notification wireless providers) is the inclusion of to-do lists on the calendars, which are supported by the ical standard...

18 years ago #

BG: It should do. If you read some of the help articles it is referenced quite a bit. It just seems they havent got round to implementing it yet.

Gareth [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I'm pretty impressed so far. The nature of my website meant it was nice to be able to create a Calendar of Events of related lectures, debates and othe events. The fact that I could make it public and post an ICAL logo on my site is a beautiful added bonus! http://anotherchancetosee.blogspot.com

I don't expect a big take-up, but it could be yet another way to keep readers coming back to your site!

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

ok, what did i do wrong. imported the yahoo calendar as a CSV. Set it to remind events 10 min before, checked 'pop-up.'

event is at 730p. 720p...........no pop-up.

Raghu Vadapalli [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

no one is talking about key short cuts..they are just great. Just like the gmail
& reader. cool stuff...

HarryC [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I fixed my issue with the save button not working....

You may have two disable your firewall software...like zonealarm or norton

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I guess that the reason we're not seeing complete integration with Gmail is because Google Calendar is available to everyone (using a Google Account) and not *just* Gmail / Google Mail account. (I know, it's easy to forget that Gmail isn't yet available to everyone!)

Until Gmail is openly available to all, I don't think we'll see a real integration with Google Calendar.

Phil [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

You might be interested in this alternative approach to creating Google Calendar "Reminder Buttons":

"Hack Three : 'Make Event Reminder Button' Bookmarklet"
   <http://stuff.rancidbacon.com/google-calendar/hack/>

With this new bookmarklet you no longer need to construct the reminder buttons by hand or reenter the information elsewhere.

I've updated the hack notes a little also.

--Phil.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is interesting – this is the time I saw for a comment on one of my events: "9¾ hours ago" That's pretty handy becuase the fuzzy time apps for stuff like this usually aren't accurate enough for me. Hopefully the gmail folks will adopt this too

t xensen [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

way too slow

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes I just got to notice about the Gmail Adding EVENT FEATURE

it is just next to attachment.

good one

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I just noticed that Google Calendar now supports verizon (SMS Reminder.) Has anybody else been using the phone reminder feature from Google Calendar? How has it been working for you?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!