Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Arabic Translator  (View post)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, April 27, 2006
18 years ago11,091 views

Can we assume that this is using their award winning statistical machine translation system? [*]

What worries me about Google playing with things like machine translation is that people see Google as a kind of all-knowing powerful God-like figure. Once Google releases the new machine translation system they're working on, many people who are uneducated in the translation industry could understandably start to assume that Google's translations are much better than those done by professional human translators. (And no matter how many machines Google have performing their translations, that will *never* be the case.)

[*] http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/08/machines-do-translating.html

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well, this is very good news for me. But it's still far worse than the English-German for example.

Mathias Schindler [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I doubt that it is the automatic translation system that google chose to win the NIST contest.

However, it is interesting to see that this translation tool tries to convert texts from the different scripts. This way, there is a certain chance that names of persons will appear in a readable way (remember that the vocal/consonant concept is solved differently in arabic letters).

If you take ar.wikipedia.org as your source, it is actually quite interesting to read. Google did an amazing job here and there is a long way to go.

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

the page translates smth like "gogogoGAGAGAbeebeebee" to smth sounding similar with arabic letters. and vice-versa .. i've tried it

Fayez [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Google's insistance on a do-it-yourself approach with Arabic technology is mind baffling. In housing research that others have been undertaking for 10+ years cannot be shortened into a few months even by the mighty Google.

It is high time Google took a serious look at existing Arabic technology houses and stop wasting time.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!