Google Blogoscoped

Forum

House numbers in Google Maps

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

Friday, June 30, 2006
18 years ago31,672 views

I just found some house numbers in Russia, I didn't see anyone else writing about it (maybe it is boring). Here it is:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=wtf&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=55.779324,37.550175&spn=0.00613,0.020127

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=55.73204,37.592436&spn=0.003069,0.010064

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

boring? why?
its kinda cool. it means that Googles satellites are doing well

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Wouter > it's online since maps for Russia where launched.
Kinda cool, yep ;-)

18 years ago #

is it only for Russia? (and the US of course)

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I thought it is also available for other places, but I can't find any prove of it. I just think I did see it already.

It should not surprise I think because the Teleatlas data, where this maps are built on, is delivered with house number information.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Can you post an example of where this is happening in the US please David.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

David > where do you see houses numbers in USA?

18 years ago #

i didnt..
but im 100% sure that if it applied in Russia, it must be in the US. isnt it?
(but ill search for some houses numbers in the US ;))

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

No, the houses numbers appears only in russia.
Why?
I found an explanation :
"Be warned : Moscow streets and house numbers are enormously complicated. I say this after having wasted over half an hour trying to find an address on Friday. Every person I asked for directions pointed me in a different way! Eventually I found the street, and was looking for building number 11. I found number 7. A hundred yards down the road I came to number 5. Damn. Turned around and went back up to 7, continued, but no joy. It appeared that, on that street, the house numbering went 7 – 5 – 11 – 13 etc. Makes no sense! "
http://www.waytorussia.net/TalkLounge/quote-806.html

18 years ago #

wow..
first – the funniest story ive ever heard.. lol :)
second – the US has complicated streets as well.. isnt it?! :/

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

But they seem to have the solution :P

I had this problem once in Wageningen (Netherlands) with the street 'aan de rijn'. There where 2 versions of the street, one with positive numbers and one with negative numbers. But no numbers on google maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=51.958072,5.670576&spn=0.012535,0.029268

18 years ago #

ok,
after hours of staying at Google Maps ;
there are no house number in the US on Google Maps..
its odd! Google said it will focus on the US first, and then on the rest of the world. so how come Russia's mapping is "Better" than the US?

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Maybe the Russian devs. implemented this on their own?

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

TOM: I have heard of countries where housenumbers are not sequential but in order of age of the house. So the first built house has n° 1, the second oldest n° 2 and so on. It was in some country in Asia, but I forgot which one...

18 years ago #

<<Maybe the Russian devs. implemented this on their own?>>

i doubt it

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

David: I agree with you.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Google will just be showing whatever data is available in the underlying data set that they license.

That's why Australian maps show property boundaries, Russian maps show house numbers etc.

It's not as if there would be a Google decision to commission this data for certain countries and not others – it's just already readily licensable for some areas.

Australian printed (paper) maps have included property boundaries ("cadastral information") for decades, so it's not surprising to see this information show up on Google.

mary siew ling ng [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

find the map for noel williams place, mairangi bay, auckland, new zealand

17 years ago #

<<Your search for noel williams place mairangi bay near auckland new zealand did not match any locations.>>

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-10,GGGL:en&q=noel+williams+place,+mairangi+bay,+auckland,+new+zealand+-+google+maps&btnG=Search&sa=N&tab=wl

who is noel williams?

---------
BTW,
are the 'Search the map' , 'Find businesses' , 'Get directions' tabs new?

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

oh look at that .. just noticed a change in the interface of the search box .. orange tabs ..

17 years ago #

yeah..
they are nice.. :)

i kinda liked them

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<BTW>>

Now they are not new, but the layout changed indeed. It's an improvement, but it still could be better...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

if you often go to maps.google.COM, yes it's new
not if you go an European versions of Google maps ;)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!