Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Homepage Tabs!

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

Thursday, September 14, 2006
17 years ago31,224 views

They're finally here (as reported before)! I think it's done pretty cleanly.

http://i9.tinypic.com/2e16kiq.jpg

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Can't replicate the tabs.. .. anyone else seeing the tab effect!!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Is it a module or built-in in Google IG ?
Because I don't see it...

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

It's built in. Hmm, wonder why no one else has it yet....

At first glance, it's pretty cool. When you create a new tab, it's in a different color scheme. You don't have an opton to change the color, but if you keep adding new tabs, you can eventually use the one you want.

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

A little nicer screen.

http://adamrb.googlepages.com/tabs2.jpg

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Excellent :)
thanks a lot!

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

sure this ain't this:
http://www.google.com/ig/directory?num=24&url=http://www.networkadvanced.com/google_modules/tabs/tabs.xml&q=tabs&start=0

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Absolutely Positive. I've tried that module before, didn't much care for it.

I just checked my other Google account, and that has it as well. Are you guys sure your homepages haven't updated yet? My accounts are usually last on the list when new features are rolled out....

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

A blank Tab

http://adamrb.googlepages.com/blank.jpg

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I wasn't seeing it earlier, but just now I left my personalized page and came back and there was a "Add a tab" link at the top. Very cool!

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Well they suddenly showed up at my page too... I went to the help pages to search for some information on this & then I want back to the homepage and there they are...

So maybe you need to do some cache cleaning before they apear or so...

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It looks quite unstable though, they still disappear some times...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

still nothing here.. waaaaaaaaa..... I want my tabs!!

guys...why is the roll out so inconsitent with Google ?? Anyhoot, whats cache got to do with this ??

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And soepa slow!

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Anyhoot, whats cache got to do with this ??"

Maybe some old javascript that keeps hanging?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I got it, but only when I sign in, and ONLY on Google.com/ig NOT .co.uk etc.
I can see this will be realy useful for me as I usualy have lots of stuff on my homepage!

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Agreed.

I've been limiting the amount of modules on my homepage because I like to keep it clean. Now I can have all those modules that "would be cool", but aren't cool enough to be on my main tab.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's there for me now.

Tony

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<It looks quite unstable though, they still disappear some times...>>
I click a tab the tabs dissapear and goes back to the old view (eg. everything on one page) when I refresh it goes to the tab I asked it to. They need to do something about this.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Got it too!

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It is very slow to switch Tabs. Currently, the third party Tab module I am using is faster at switching Tabs then Google Tabs is.

Has anyone seen a way to change the default colors on Tabs?

Tony

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

hé hé, if I choose an other language than English, all the modules get back on the unique home page ^^

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Deleting a Tab deletes all the modules on that Tab as well. You are not given the option to move them to another Tab.

I do like how it remembers what Tab you were on if you leave the Home Page. If you use your browser Go Back button, it takes you back to the same Tab. The third party Tab module could not do this.

Tony

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Got it!
You can only add up to 6 tabs.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It would be nice re-arrange the order of the Tabs as well.

Tony

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Change the colour of your Gadgets without having tabs

Make a new tab.
Put a Gadget (or whatever it is) on it
Make sure that tab is active
go to google.co.uk/ig
All the Gadgets are on one page in the colour you selected.

This is more of a bug than a feature so I'm not sure how long it will last.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Official announcement here :
http://groups.google.com/group/Google_Web_Search_Help-Personalizing/msg/37c3aed199c6e25d

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah, is there anyway to shuffle tabs . ?? that would be nice..!!

FWIW, I have only added gadets that are offically by google.. some of my 3rd party is reacting differntly..

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

actually you an drag and drop the gadget onto any tab.. so reorg is really easy

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

/pd – If you've got 6 tabs, each with 8 modules and you want to re-order the tabs, that's not so easy – or am I missing something?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No Tony, I just drag goto the tab1, select the module and drag and drop that into tab5..

no, re-ordering of tabs is not easy.. I found that out.. the hard way.. so I just pulled all the modules into a tab and then renamed the bugger.. :)-

Matthew Pegler [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

"Just as Garett Rogers suggested last week", it was me that posted the info about the tabs. He said that I told him in his article.... wonderful.

Anyway, I don't like the new tabs, they are slow loading, don't preload other tabs, and basically reload the homepage everytime you switch tabs. I'll stick with my tabs modules. Anyone know a way to disable the integrated tabs?

soug [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

One interesting thing is using Matthew Pegler's tabs within the new Google tabs. Tabs within tabs... hmm.....

I guess that's one way to get past the 6/7 tab limit that people are talking about

Brad [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Nice enough I guess. Now I wish they'd add content mouseovers to the headline lists of RSS feeds.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

oh, yeah content mouseovers.. i screamed for that in the groups .. still no action in the bull pen.

soug : Thats an interesting concept, using M.Pegler module within the new google tabs.. I must pen test that!! :)-

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

grrrrrrrrr.. it failed.... i.e Tab module (M.Peglar's) within the google tab!!

soug [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

/pd :

hmm why do you think it didn't work?

o btw if you want M.Peglar's tabs on each google tab you have to add his module to each google tab separately

EverythingDigital [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Great addition!!

I have yet to hear anyone mention tabs and Gmail.
I think its an obvious next step...after focusing on performance.
Prolly why it was introduced first on the Homepage.

Long overdue in my opinion. (Not to mention some sort of mail preview)

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Andrew in Melbopurne, Aus [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Nothing. No tabs. Doesnt show on my page. At all.
Typical Google.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Seems a pretty neat implementation to me. It is much nicer than any of the other personalised homepages's tabs. I am not sure about the automatic colouring though. Give us choice!

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i got it!
here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/DavidHetfield/GoogleMore/photo#4974808789640806418

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I want to get rid of the "Add a tab" links... it and that page break are obtrusive..

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think they got this idea from Webwag, where it is better represented.
The Webwag founder used to work at Google and Yahoo, so you can imagine what he gathered to implement his ideas.

Spanish one [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

mmmm when i log in www.google.com/ig it redirects to spanish version... we dont have tabs here. Maybe TAB is only an english beverage? :)

17 years ago #

I am not sure if my tabs module works with the new tabs. I will have to edit it to make sure it only detects the module on its own tab. Also, I am starting to think of modules to tie in with the new tabs. Maybe make a module to add a Gmail tab or a Calendar tab that will open those pges right on the homepage. Certainly a module to edit the tab colors will be on its way soon....

Spanish one [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

keep on, matthew, superb job. i ve been using your module for months and it was great. if u manage to make a gmail or calendar tab, let us know, ill use it.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"keep on, matthew, superb job. i ve been using your module for months and it was great. if u manage to make a gmail or calendar tab, let us know, ill use it."

Ditto here! I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Tony

Joe [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

ummm....already implemented in netvibes.com.

17 years ago #

I really hate people that decide that a feature that site A released is bad simply because site B already had it. So does that make Google bad because Yahoo already did search? Or Windows Live's services are bad simply because they weren't the first? No. So unless you have something constructive to say, keep it to yourself.

saffyre9 [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No tabs on google.ca yet... *disappointed*

Kerub [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

networkadvanced is better (I have a slight modification of it with statcounter call removed because of past hangs...).
1) load the world at once, toggling is immediate
2) need only one unclutter or one minigoogle module to change appearrrence/arrangements for all tabs.

I'm staying on the third party module

17 years ago #

If i get some time in the future, I am going to be modifying the tabs module, hopefully making it faster and adding in some more features. Maybe make it auto hide Google's tabs and make the ones the module makes look more like tabs, rather than like boxes.

But loading them all in the beginning and then instantly toggling I think is better.

BTW, the counter call in the tabs module code is a call to a site that I own and operate, just so that I can keep track of how many people are loading the module.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Matthew, yeah to play later this week when you have a new tabs versions out.. just let me know when you need a second pair of eyes and I can alpha for you. Heres how may tabs and pen testing tabs looks like right now :)-

http://slash.pd.googlepages.com/tabs.png

17 years ago #

so tabs within tabs does indeed work.... interesting. I wouldn't think they are. Send me a message to mattjp88 [at] gmail [dot] com and I'll let you know when a new version is out. We could also talk about features you wanted.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oh no Matthew, like I said earlier it does not work. .I'll email you the screen scraps along with some break points..

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Create Infinite Tabs on Google IG.
Copy & Paste to the address bar, while you are on Google Personalized Homepage, then press enter.
<code>javascript:_renameTab(); _dlsetp(’at=’)</code>
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/5641/zfb6.jpg
http://googlified.com/2006how-to-add-more-tabs-to-google-personalized-homepage/

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Haochi, its works.. its like an XSS hack :)-

yeah dont forget the "" char

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks. ;)

17 years ago #

I just soent some time checking out how google does this tab thing. quite interesting. they actually fully refresh the page when you change tabs. the different colors are caused by css files stored in a /skins/ directory. I am going through trying to find the function that saves modules to new tabs and also the one to save module locations. If I can hijack those functions, I could make this homepage load each other tab in the background, as opposed to when you call it. I'll work on some stuff this weekend. I still must say, the way Google made this feature is not like their style. it's not ajax, it's reloading. slow and bad. This means all those modules that you have that modify the page in some way will only work on the tab you have it on. What is your wish list of tab functionality?

17 years ago #

BTW, to add another tab, you only need:

javascript:void(_dlsetp("at=tabNameHere"))

the _renameTab function simply pulls up the textbox to edit the tab.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is enough:
javascript:_dlsetp("at=");

Kerub [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

sorry Matthew for having removed the statcounter call.

it seemed to me that that was the cause of infinite loading (I am referring to the Google Reader Module that never reached to show items).

was I wrong? DId you test your tabs module with reader?

may it was another cause?

actually your tabs are better, may be you can propose to google an improved version of their module, too...

Tom [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

What I'd like to know is whther or not Google knows what I've placed in my various tabs. For example, in one tab, Feeds, I have a bunch feeds from various sites. I have another tab named Personal wherein lies my calendar, gmail, to-do list, weather in my zip code.

Is Google aware of the data I have in those tabs, particularly items like my to-do list, and calendar events and if so, I've realized they now know more about what is going on my life almost on a day-by-day basis and what zip code I'm (assumably) in (weather).

I have several tasks in my to-do list and events in my calendar upcoming in the same period and my zip code, as mentioned previously, is listed in my weather module. Anyone care to advertise something locally sourced to me that would be relevant to these pieces of data I have in this tab and send it through to me in my Gmail account?

Hmmm...

Tom

17 years ago #

I tend to use void as to pregvent the page from disappearing, but yes, not using still works in this case.

As for removing the counter, not a problem. As long as you don't go around telling people that it was your module, you're free to modify it.

Mike5959 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

How do you delete a tab? I created one too many and I cant see any way to delete it!

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Mike, make the tab in question active by clicking it. Then click the name of the tab like you were trying to rename it – you will see an "x" beside the name now. Click the "x" and it should be removed

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

At last the long awaited feature for Personalized Google Homepage is here!

Mike5959 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Thanks garrett.

Codemonkey123 [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I too found these tabs but then lost them again.
I finally managed to get them back when I went to google.com rather than google.co.uk.

To get to google.com from google.co.uk there is a link "Go to Google.com" in the bottom right of the google.co.uk page.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!