Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Trademark vs Blogger  (View post)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, November 8, 2006
17 years ago15,225 views

It doesn't make sense. The official Google blogs don't carry AdSense, so how is removing AdSense from Ionut's blog going to make it harder to confuse it with an official Google blog?

Either Ionut is using Google Brand Features in an acceptable way (in which case he should be able to use AdSense), or else he is using them in an unacceptable way (in which case Google's lawyers should ask him to stop, and AdSense has nothing to do with it).

I suspect some junior admin at AdSense has gotten a little carried away.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yeah, if there was an issue with the brand name , then a C&D notice should have been issues... why adsense being cut off ??

I think someone should squat on "googlefuckedup.com"!!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

From one of their mails:

<< Thanks for taking the time to review our policies and conditions. Please note that, while you may be permitted to run a site that contains Google Brand Features in part of the URL, you may not display AdSense ads on such a site. In this case, we feel that a URL such as googlesystem.blogspot.com may lead users to believe that your site is affiliated with Google. As such, we appreciate your understanding and cooperation in our decision to disable ad serving to the site. >>

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

At relation there is between "googlesystem.blogspot.com may lead users to believe that your site is affiliated with Google" and to display Adsense ads?

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Is this only an issue because of being on the blogspot.com domain, or would this even affect blogs like Nathan Weinberg's (http://google.blognewschannel.com)?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I just verified that a couple of sites have adsense and this means that they are in voliation of the adsense policy too? So will these be the next ones to be kicked out of adsense programme ?

http:// Google.blognewschannel.com
http://google.blogspace.com/
http://google.weblogsinc.com

17 years ago #

Also http://google-blog.dirson.com/

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

When you agree to the AdSense ToS* you automatically agree to the Google Permission guidelines** via point 12 (nice cross-integration!). The Google Permissions state "Don’t register Google trademarks as second-level domain names" but Ionut used a subdomain – like InsideGoogle***, which also uses AdSense, and is in fact a premium publisher if I'm not mistaken – which is third-level.

* https://www.google.com/adsense/localized-terms?hl=en_US
** http://www.google.com/permissions/guidelines.html
*** http://google.blognewschannel.com (currently down)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

this is certainly a fake .. and certainly worth taking down!!

http://google.audiencestv.com/

Prashanth [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Their custom search engine is blocked. But the link works if we go directly. Looks like Google is blocking by the referral.

Google
Error

Forbidden
   Your client does not have permission to get URL /custom?cx=0038846732797558335
55:3cijo_hjc5a&q=red&sa=Search&cof=CX:G
oogle%2520Operating%2520System;FORID:1
&safe=on&safe=on&hl=en&client=pub-157150
7137001592&safe=on&safe=on from this server. (Client IP address: 192.x.x.x)

The website you've just visited has tried to provide you with search results from Google. Unfortunately, the site violates our terms of service so your search could not be completed. If you would like to continue with your search, please click the link below, which will take you directly to Google and the results you've requested. We apologize for the inconvenience and encourage you to conduct future searches directly from google.com or through the Google Toolbar, which can be downloaded for free from this address: http://toolbar.google.com.

Click here to continue your search on Google.

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What about www.gogole.fr, it's not redirecting to google.fr. Hummm interesting...

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

by the way gogole means dumb in French :)

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<At relation there is between "googlesystem.blogspot.com may lead users to believe that your site is affiliated with Google" and to display Adsense ads?>>
Someone said this before, "Not everyone is a Google freak".

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp,

Notice that you change your blogoscoped logo...I think your previous logo doesnt violate the TOS....Only those publishers with google name as part of the domain name are not allowed to show google ads....Publishers must first receive Google's permission before using any
of Google Brand Features on their website to earn revenue from ads. This policy is available at
http://www.google.com/permissions/guidelines.html

Randy Charles Morin [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I'm confused why people make such a big deal of it. Simply get a new domain, like gs.blogspot and redirect all your readers. End of story!

17 years ago #

I thought about that, but it's not easy.

17 years ago #

Pokemo, I didn't change this to comply with Google's trademark (or AdSense) guidelines...

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ionut,

I am really sorry to hear that.....

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

oohhh......Thanks Philipp....:)

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Publisher.Yahoo.com???

17 years ago #

US-only?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Think so...
"Participants of the program must have a *valid U.S. Social Security* ..."

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hey, I'm writing to AdSense about this. In my personal opinion you should be allowed to show AdSense ads on your site, and I'll see if I can bring folks around to my world view. :)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That's very kind of you Matt, good on you.

Cristian Mezei [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

I am really happy that you came up on this Matt.

Ionut is one of the best bloggers out there, and he relentlessly posts the most interesting news and tips about anything Google-Related out there.

He went THAT far to state that his website is NOT affiliated with Google.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I hope Matt Cutt's letter will persuade someone at Adsense to look closer at this case. This is totally unjustified. Good luck to you, Ionut!

alek [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That's a bummer Ionut – yea, hopefully Matt's note will nudge 'em to look a bit closer and clear this up for you – good luck too.

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ionut, hope Matt get your google ads back...:)

17 years ago #

Thank you, Matt, Philipp and everyone. Here's what I got this morning:

"I received your email from Scott. While we do require that publishers obtain permission before running AdSense ads on Blogger sites that contain Google Trademarks in the URL, we've re-reviewed your site and are happy to grant you permission to continue running ads on googlesystem.blogspot.com .

Ad serving has been re-enabled to the site, though please be aware that it may take up to 48 hours before ads start appearing again. Thanks again for your understanding and your patience. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have further questions or concerns."

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hooray.....I am glad to hear that....:) All the best to you....

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ionut, that's great news. It's good to see that someone at Google has some common sense!

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Cool! Congrats Ionut.

17 years ago #

[Updated the post!]

17 years ago #

I'm glad for you, Ionut.

But it shows this: Even with Google, it's not what you do or what you know that counts, it's who you know.

Cristian Mezei [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

And that's how business is done :-)

17 years ago #

<<Roger Browne :
But it shows this: Even with Google, it's not what you do or what you know that counts, it's who you know.>>

Very good point. And I don't like that.

John M [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I really hope Google never gets a complete monopoly over web advertising (although they're pretty close already). The real danger here is that many sites using AdSense would willingly change content on their site if Google demanded, too scared by the concept of losing their ad revenue to do anything else. That's when Google can start controlling the media. I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist (:P) but if they have no problem switching you off just for using their name in a way they don't like, then what comes next?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Kudo to Matt C for steppin up to the plate and pro-activing participating in resolution!! –

He just made himself many brownie points for himself , in my opinion!

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Good news for Ionut! Interesting how this applies only to Blogger sites with Google in the URL.

17 years ago #

You are right /pd, thanks to Matt C for doing the right thing.

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Glad you're back, Ionut, and sorry that it was a bad experience for a couple days there. Not every part of Google is monitoring the blogosphere 24/7--the job of that AdSense team is probably to worry about people using Google's name in bad/deceptive ways, and Google needs to do that so that people don't get bad info and think it's official. But I think Google would have reached the decision to re-enable your site even if I hadn't mailed anyone. Anyway, glad you're back. :)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thank you Matt for your support
and congrats to Ionut! :-)

Krish [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

In Digg someone this googlesystem is 'official google blog':
http://digg.com/design/Gmail_s_New_Features_2#c3770867

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The word Google exist long time ago and I don't really understand even when people are using this word for positive actions and they get hitten from Google inc.

17 years ago #

<<In Digg someone this googlesystem is 'official google blog'>>

I'm sorry, but I can't do more than write "unofficial" (on top of the page) and "not affiliated with Google" (at the bottom). There's also a link to the Official Google Blog on the homepage.

Don Jones [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I have GoogleBloggle.com (inactive) and GoogleBloggle.blogspot.com. I don't know what to do with them. I thought they were slick names but now that I have them I can't come up with much that seems to fit. I will appreciate suggestions.

Dimitri [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I registered googlebay.com.au in June 2006
I did not have much idea how to use it back then. Domain name by itself did not create any traffic (0-10) a day + robots. While developing ideas and learn web design I’ve put a meta search on it and applied for google search API license and Ad sense license to cover costs. Google agreed then canceled. +Google is only one search in the world asking money for using they database commercially. Ok stuff Google. I used others (like MSN) for free and display clear that is not Google.
At the same time, over a year Google Adwords keep retrieving few dollars a month from my Visa without my knowledge or receipts due to “technical issue”. That license was for other site. Clicks stats on that site show ZERO clicks from Google Adsense program. Google customer support was useless. I cancel Visa to stop it. A money leak discovered when second adwords account cancelled – Google still took money! Account is still inaccessible, even after receiving a warning from not paying a bill.
   So having no help from google and to make sure about legal status of the domain name I applied for googlebay trademark in NSW Australia. Trademark office accepted application (surprise)! Google opposed trademark now and demanding transfer the domain as well immediately!!
they Middletons lawyers did nothing but send a template and forms copied from trademark office. They cannot even sign and secure e-mail properly! Well. If Google has too much cash to pay for nothing rather then invests in customer service – they can.
It could sound crazy, but I may have a prove that static Google technology directly helps global warning and social instability more then anything else.
A well. Soon or later Google crap will hit the fan.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!