Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Midomi Music Search: Sing to Find  (View post)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, January 27, 2007
17 years ago13,679 views

Wow! I have been looking for this kind of thing for so long!!!

Charles Knight [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Don't forget the other humming search engine Nayio (www.nayio.com).

We have tried Nayio and it works fine. Nayio is also one of my
"Top 100 Alternative Search Engines". (alternatives to Google)

Copies of the entire list of 100 of the Coolest Search Engines out there are free for the asking by emailing me at: Charles[put at-character here]CharlesKnightSEO.com.

TKDWILSON [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Google needs to buy this and incorporate the other services into it. This would be awesome if integrate into youtube, google video, gmail and google talk. Someone sends you a song, but you don't have any artist information, google tells you who it is, sends you the lyrics and a link to buy the CD and the digital version. Someone plays a song on youtube, you find all videos of people that use that song etc. Incorporated social networking where people can search for other people singing by area and such. Can you imagine how much of an impact that could make.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is cool. But not so hard.

It is more easy than IBM speaking input.

I have a IBM free software that I get at 2001. It can input chinese by just speaking.

For music, will much more easy than IBM's. Input music just need to judge the Tone for high or low. Or lasting time.

How many letters for Chinese? About 3000.
How many letters for music? Just 12. (C,#C,D,#D,E,F,#F,G,#G,A,#A,B)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Weird, the site currently shows up broken for me (like, text-only – header and footer of the HTML template are missing, for starters).

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Weird, I can not use it too.

Although this is not so hard, I should say, it is money idea. Simple and can make money. In this case, Midimi is brighter than IBM.

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I see a Unable to Connect page.

17 years ago #

This article in Chinese :)
http://google.blogoscoped.cn/?p=26

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's under contruction.

[put at-character here]TKDWILSON

I completely agree! I have always in the past gotten frustrated each time i remembered part of a song, or video, or maybe just the tune, or maybe just a line, and I was unable to remember the rest! I have always thought about how useful a tool like this could be. It is similar to Google's acquisition of NevenVision!

Leva [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Google has had the chance to either buy or develop in-house something like this for years now. I know for a fact that they were approached over five years ago with this idea, by one of the authors of this paper:

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/may97/meldex/05witten.html

These authors had developed a system like this back in 1997. That's before Google even existed.

Google is really behind the times.

Jim C. [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

This site also has humming/singing/whistling search: http://www.musipedia.org/query_by_humming.0.html

I don't know whose software they use for this.

For this site you have to specify the rough shape of the tune: http://www.themefinder.org/

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Have you seen http://www.SongTapper.com ?

When I tried that a while ago, it was pretty good. I think it's even more impressive because it's using only rhythm to match songs rather that pitch as well.

dave [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

another one is tunespotting.com – they have search by playing on your computer keyboard and also a nice interface where you can write the musical notes – if you know how to write them.

Daysie [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

REad this it's hilarious!

from some guy's blog.

My Review of Midomi
Posted on January 29th and has 3 comments
Filed Under: personal

Midomi is an online service that lets you hum or sing a song into your computer microphone and it will supposedly recognize the song and tell you the title, artist, blah, blah, blah.

Cool, right?

So I tried it out and sang a few bars to "You are not alone" by the genius that is R. Kelly. It guessed that I was singing "Oh Come, All Ye Faithful".

Ok. It's a new service, let me try a more reconizable song. I sang "SexyBack" by JT and Midomi thought I was singing "The Farmer In The Dell". Wow.

I understand that I am not exactly Andrea Bocceli. I understand that I am not even on the level with people who are "going to Hollywood, dawg" on American Idol, but I can hum a song.

At this point I thought that maybe this service is so new that my songs are not in the database. Since it thought my last attempt was "The Farmer In The Dell", I tried actually singing singing "The Farmer In The Dell".

It said I was singing "As Long As You Love Me" by the Backstreet Boys.

I hate you midomi.

I would love to hear your results from using this service. Please post them in the comments.

Postscript: My wife (who apparently thought I was recording a music video or some sort) informed me that I was lame and needed a better song. She also said, "that's terrible".

3 comments (Comments are open)

17 years ago #

URL?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!