Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Dialpad in Google Talk

SQ89 [PersonRank 3]

Friday, May 18, 2007
17 years ago33,665 views

http://lh6.google.com/image/sander.dijkhuis/Rk4XCnJR_1I/AAAAAAAAAMU/DebpjEMZOhc/s288/googletalk-dialpad.jpg

I guess we can expect SIP or regular phone support in Google Talk soon? The screenshot is from:
http://services.google.com/apps/resources/overviews_breeze/Apps/index.html

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nice find.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Although I've never actually called anyone through the program, isn't that just what happens when you make a call?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No.
I used to call sometimes to people abroad (families, friends etc') and i've never seen it.

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This pictures suggest that we may be able to call landlines from Google Talk soon. Right now you can only call users Google Talk, and The Gizmo Project I believe.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I wonder if calls are going to be free...

17 years ago #

One can hope.

Daniel Garcia [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Google deleted that presentation

The requested URL was not found on this server.

I think it's internal testing only

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Wow! Nice find...

17 years ago #

The presentation is back again :

shady [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

would it be possible to call cell phones too?

17 years ago #

Not at this current moment.

Sandeep patel [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It will be a revolution if it’s a free service.

Daniel Garcia [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

I think it will be audio ad-suported Google-style

17 years ago #

Perhaps. It would be nice to see how it will differ from Skype or the Gizmo Projects methods.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I remember that the feedback form for Google Talk had PC to phone calling as one of the poll options. Perhaps Google listened?

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm sure they were always planning on it . . . it's a question of how far they'll go, I guess.
(But also, who the hell wants to use a click-on-number-pad system when you can type in a phone number?)

17 years ago #

I'm sure they'll allow you to type the number as well ;)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Official post, Philipp?

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]DPic: Seconded. I'm sure other blogs will love to speculate on this, too, once it gets out.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here] DPic / Mysterius: Philipp's only back from vacation today and I've not had chance to put something together for this. Sorry! Other blogs have already been speculating on this anyway.

Opaquit [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Nice find, looking forward to trying this version. Features like this can definitely make many current *cough* Skype users switch to Google Talk. I hope we can expect conference calls soon as well.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<But also, who the hell wants to use a click-on-number-pad system when you can type in a phone number?>>

Maybe the keys have alpha on them for all those places that have memorable phone numbers.... That said... why not just let the user type alpha too.....?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<But also, who the hell wants to use a click-on-number-pad system when you can type in a phone number?>>

People with Touch Screens/Tablet PCs?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Wasn't the presentation about Google Apps? Will his be something only rolled out to enterprise Google Apps users? Or will this be rolled out to everyone that has a Google account?

17 years ago #

Judging from "enter a name or phone number"... I think the dial pad is there for any touch tone neccessities... or a novelty.

Erasable Ink [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Now we just need a Mac client.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't think it will be free, but I'm ready to pay
why not Google, if i can pay to skype ;)

RH [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

With regards to a Mac client; The latest dev build of OS X 10.5 Leopard has a version of iChat that has an account drop-down for Gtalk (rather than just the generic Jabber entry they previously had).

Now this build is only for the IM portion of the Gtalk service, but it seems unlikely that iChat would even offer this unless they were going to have full compatibility with the Gtalk service, so perhaps Jingle support is finally coming to iChat.

Perhaps Google haven't announced this feature yet in deference to Apple keeping things secret for as long as possible. Perhaps we'll see someone from Google up on the stage with Steve Jobs next Monday at the WWDC to announce Gtalk-PSTN connectivity and full Gtalk compatbility in iChat?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!