Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Locked out of Gmail

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

Monday, June 11, 2007
17 years ago3,900 views

I've seen this happen to others, but until it happens to you, you don't realize how fragile your digital life is.

I was downloading my old Gmail into my Windows Mail app over the last three days, when suddenly last night I was unable to connect. i tried Gmail online and received this message, without warning or the ability to dispute it:

"This account has been locked down due to unusual account activity. It may take up to 24 hours for you to regain access.

Unusual account activity includes, but is not limited to:

1. Receiving, deleting, or downloading large amounts of mail via POP in a short period of time.
   2. Sending a large number of undeliverable messages (messages that bounce back).
   3. Using file-sharing or file-storage software, browser extensions, or third party software that automatically logs in to your account.
   4. Leaving multiple instances of your Gmail account open.
   5. Browser-related issues. Please note that if you find your browser continually reloading while attempting to access your Inbox, it’s probably a browser issue, and it may be necessary to clear your browser’s cache and cookies.

If you feel that you have been using your Gmail account according to the Gmail Terms of Use, you can troubleshoot your problem by clicking here."

I can understand why they immediately shut down an account for reasons 2-5, but for reason #1 should'nt they give you a warning first or make the punishment last less than a full day?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, It does seem silly. BTW do greasemonkey scripts count as browser extensions? I don't think so as their scripts that work with a browser extension but are not extensions themselves, are they?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< BTW do greasemonkey scripts count as browser extensions? I don't think so as their scripts that work with a browser extension but are not extensions themselves, are they? >>

You're right, the scripts themselves probably don't count as browser extensions. But I don't think that makes any difference at all as far as their policy is concerned, since you can't use Greasemonkey scripts without running the Greasemonkey browser extension.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

But surely GM isn't a BE concerning Gmail. Does it mean ALL browser extensions then?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!