Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google GMail Slide show up and running

raghu [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, June 12, 2007
17 years ago12,733 views

GMail view as Slideshow is up and running for me:)

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's official! :)
http://mail.google.com/mail/help/about_whatsnew.html

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

ha ha! Cool!
I've been getting this since last night.
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/96144.html#id98724

Luca [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yep! it works..

talking about gmail features..
another features that i suggest is , for pictures , "post to my album" , i really can't believe that google don't have think on that :-) very useful for all the pic i (we) recieve in mailbox (job trip, vacancies, etc) why download them (as zip) unzip , get in to picasa and re-post to web album ?

17 years ago #

It's Google. They're wayyy ahead of us ;)

I'm sure they're working on it, since they're trying to merge between the services.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yeah its cool

mica [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

i have 2 .ppt files attached to a sent mail with which i wanted to check out this new feature. unfortunately gmail says:

Conversion failed.

Document is unreadable and possibly corrupted

(these were converted from .pptx in MSO 2007)

feature request for gmail:
now that you can use multiple from addresses it would be nice to set a default from address to certain destinations like mailing lists. i am subscribed to a mailing list with an email other than my default gmail address and whenever i forget to set the from address manually my mail gets bounced back (or waits for admin approval since posting is members-only)

Markmedia [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

>i have 2 .ppt files attached to a sent mail with which i wanted to check out >this new feature. unfortunately gmail says:
>Conversion failed.
>Document is unreadable and possibly corrupted

I have exactly the same problem. This occurs in both recieved files and files in my sent "folder".
Anybody got any idea why this occurs and how to fix it?

T [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

[Moved from "Just launched on Gmail!" – Tony]

Looks official

View as slideshow
Now you can open PowerPoint attachments as slideshows, without having to download anything. Just click "View as slideshow" next to the .ppt attachment you want to preview. Since you can open .doc and .xls attachments with Google Docs and Spreadsheets too, there's no need to leave your web browser to check out your Gmail attachments. Learn More.

What is 'View as slideshow'?
To open a Microsoft PowerPoint (PPT) file without downloading it to your computer:

Open the message containing an attachment.
Click View as slideshow at the bottom of the message.
This will open your slides in a new browser window. You can navigate between slides by clicking the left and right arrow buttons at the top of the screen, or by choosing a specific slide from the dropdown menu in the upper right corner of the screen.

Johann [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Does anyone know if it works with OpenOffice Impress files?

Zing [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I have Gmail configured in Outlook Express. My problem is that when someone sends me a heavy attachment, mail download fails as I have no other option but to use a dialup.

PowerPoint attachments can be heavy so I was wondering if there is a different way to share PowerPoints when I hit upon http://www.authorstream.com/

It is much easier to just upload and share a presentation on AuthorStream than to send it as an attachment. I have tried uploading PowerPoints with audio and transitions and they all work fine.

AuthorStream is working fine for me for PowerPoint and slideshow sharing.

MeTheGeek [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No, it doesn't support ODP (Impress files)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

damn, that makes me sad. ODP should be supported too!

how long until google presentations in gdocs, you guys think?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You should know that, right?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

can't i ask what you guys think?

4563214 [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

it works for me since 4th june. i use firefox, english gmail and i'm in germany...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google said this summer... but we can't tell how accurate their pre-announcements are because they usually don't pre-announce products!

17 years ago #

I'm guessing ;
End of June.

Daniel Garcia [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

[Moved from "Google Slideshow ready to be embedded in webpage" and added line breaks to code – Tony]

If you type this in browser address bar during a Google slideshow presentation:

javascript:void(document.getElementById('how_to_embed').
style.display="block")

A new div show us code to embed this slideshow in web or blog

I tried the code in my blog but no lucky

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Daniel, you can just right-click and select "Embed this presentation"

http://blogoscoped.com/files/more/slideshow/slideshow-menu.png

Edit: On checking, that feature seems to have been removed now. I guess they realised that sharing private email attachments was a bit dodgy...

Daniel Garcia [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Yes, it's make sense for Google to do combine HTML with flash and makes cleaner flash

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google told Times of India: "This [Gmail/ PowerPoint preview] feature was a 20 per cent time project for a few engineers. This is a Gmail feature and is not related to our plans to incorporate presentation-sharing capabilities into Google Docs and Spreadsheets."
http://infotech.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2119297.cms

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thats such a bad news. Well atleast I have something to play with until the real Google Presentaion is out.

"How did Tony edit his post. Is it something about special rights or this feature is available to all?"

17 years ago #

This feature is available for administrators only.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< This is a Gmail feature and is not related to our plans to incorporate presentation-sharing capabilities into Google Docs and Spreadsheets. >>

Seems a bit counter-productive to me. Still, I guess they could easily share code between the two projects since that's what Google tends to do...

Robert MacEwan [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Support for OpenOffice.org : .odp files would be extremely useful.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!