Google Blogoscoped

Forum

My Gmail Account was stolen

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

Friday, June 15, 2007
17 years ago24,488 views

:(
my gmail bursa.malaysia[put at-character here]gmail.com was stolen...anyone here could help?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Pokemo – Look at the below web page and follow whatever it says for "My account has been compromised."

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/request.py?security=1&ctx=security

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Unlucky. The page that "I know my secondary email address" is not linking to an answer. The page cannot be found

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm sure you'll be able to just contact Google. I did it with Hotmail, and they sorted it out for me, as long as you provide the requested ID.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sorry to hear about you account. But hey, at least your account hasn't been deleted. :)

(http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/12/28/gmail-disaster-reports-of-mass-email-deletions/)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Pokemo, does that mean you can't login yourself anymore?
Since when, and do you know how this might have happened?

Do you use a lot of Gmail/ Google Docs/ Calendar etc.?

Colin, by the way on that help page you point to I'm unsure what Google actually suggests you to do if someone takes over your account & changes your password (if that's what happened)...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Select "I forgot my password" so you can reset your password using your alternate email address.
https://www.google.com/accounts/ForgotPasswd?service=mail&fpOnly=1&dEM=

If not, maybe this will help:
https://services.google.com/inquiry/gmail_security1

17 years ago #

Off topic:
<< Fields in bold are required. >>

What happened to – " * " ?

17 years ago #

* was old, unminimalistic

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

my friend received a spam email from bursa.malaysia[put at-character here]gmail.com. I told him that i didnt do that. Then i log in my account and discover that my account username and password do not match. I think the hacker change the password and steal my contact list to spam whatever emails in the list. :(sounds bad. I have not contacted google yet...plan to do right after this...

17 years ago #

Sounds awful.. :/

17 years ago #

Did you post the pasword anywhere or tell anyone suspicious. I know it sounds stupid but if you didn't then we could all be targeted by this guy (or gal) who knows how to hack gmail accounts. Also run doctor spyware on your pc to see if someone is spying on you

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

contacted google. let's wait and see...

17 years ago #

I'm curious, did you use a word from the dictionary as your password? E.g. something like "printer" or "kitten" or something...

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Be careful next time... Use trusted computers over trusted networks, and use complicated passwords so nobody can remember them...
Good luck

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

nope....my password is the combination of number + non-dictionary word

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Facebook!

<<They’re sneaky bastards and ask you for your Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail account password so that they can send invites to all your contacts>>
http://ruscoe.net/blog/2007/06/five-weeks-of-facebook.asp

17 years ago #

I'm with James.
Sweep your computer for finding unwanted spyware.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Haochi, I guess it would only take one dodgy developer from Facebook to steal one of the passwords but surely that's highly unlikely. Or, at least, I'd like to think it's highly unlikely for the sake of all those people who just went ahead and did it...

17 years ago #

Does your Gmail account match the same username/password for other sites like Facebook, Myspace, etc?

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Usually my username/password will be different for different sites.

17 years ago #

all mine are the same

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thats really risky James. Though to remember my different sites' passwords I use a common 17 character long mixture of strings and numbers and then a two character code for each site/service/account.

*So, is my password only two characters long? :P*

17 years ago #

Meh. It would be more risky if I told you my password

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ohh.. Can I know it? Please Please Please.... Just kidding you can keep it.

17 years ago #

Its ok, my password is!nf3rn0$uck$2007 ;->

17 years ago #

> Though to remember my different sites' passwords
> I use a common 17 character long mixture of strings
> and numbers and then a two character code for each
> site/service/account.

My rough calculations just said there's a ~0.1% chance of someone guessing your Google password, if they are holding one of your other passwords. (E.g. 24 letters + 10 numbers, taken to the square because you use two digits...) But that's just provided they know you're always re-using the first 17 characters, and as they may not know this, the risk is even lower....

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]pokemo, Have you heard anything from Google about your account?

AEF [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

<<<<My rough calculations just said there's a ~0.1% chance of someone guessing your Google password, if they are holding one of your other passwords. (E.g. 24 letters + 10 numbers, taken to the square because you use two digits...)>>>>

Yea, but if there is a pattern for those two letters/numbers then it could be able be picked up very easily. (for example: the first two letters of the website's name [ gm for gmail, fa for facebook, my for myspace etc...]). If there is no pattern and you have to remember two random letters/numbers for every site, you might as well create an individual password for each one.

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is what i received from Google...will update you guys..

Hello,

Thank you for your report. Google takes abuse situations like this very seriously. We sincerely apologize for what you have experienced in this regard.

You can help us assist you by sending us the information outlined below. Provide as much information as you can: if you're not sure about something, tell us whatever you think might be helpful.

- The URL listed in your Gmail invitation or the verification code from your account creation email
- The email address to which the invitation was sent
- The email addresses of up to 3 Frequently Mailed Contacts* (people you sent mail to, not people you received mail from)
- The names of up to 3 Labels*
- The date you created your Gmail account
- The date you suspect your account was compromised
- The secondary email address you provided when creating your account, if you gave one
- The security question you selected when creating your account
- The date when you last changed your password and/or security question and your current security question
- Your Internet Service Provider (ISP), if you have one
- Any other Google services you used with this account and the date you started using each one
- Any additional information that pertains to your case

*Google takes the privacy and security of your email information seriously. Verifying the Contacts and Labels in your Gmail account is done via an automated process. As such, the verification process does not require a content review of your email messages. Please see Google's Privacy Policy for more information on Google's commitment to privacy.

Also, please note that we don't need your password or other sensitive information, and we encourage you to keep such information closely guarded.

Upon receiving the above information, we'll investigate the issue further and report back to you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

The Google Team

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

!nf3rn0$uck$200.. Oh my god that's an insult...

Aaaaa..... The horror! Anyways. No problem... I will be waiting for my day ;D

17 years ago #

<< Upon receiving the above information, we'll investigate the issue further and report back to you as soon as possible. >>

Hope for the best pokemo!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!