Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Guys Kicked from eBay Conference?  (View post)

ReaderFromGoogleReader [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, June 20, 2007
17 years ago6,359 views

Nice catch at the conference. You should have held up your phone (with video camera i assume) as if you were shuffling through your contact list or sending a text message and grabbed a few minutes of video or still shots.

So I guess we won't be seeing a GoogleBay or eBoogle any time in the near future? ;-)

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"eBoogle"

I'm going to be chuckling to myself all day about that.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

oh guys, don't be eBil...

Meg McNeal [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Don't you just hate it when the big dogs fight. It seems like millions of dollars is being left on the table, by ebay and google, but I'm sure they can afford it.

Alex Barnett [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I know Google guys were there.

And I know the eBay guys knew the Google guys were there.

And I know the Google guys knew the eBay guys knew the Google guys were there.

But I didn't know that any Google guys were kicked out...I'd be surprised if that's actually what happend...

Paul [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Are you sure that they were Google and not just people wearing Google clothes?

Here is a story from two people who where kicked out: http://mystorespace.blogspot.com/2007/06/mystorespace-launches-at-ebay-live-but.html

Daniel Garcia [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Who lose more in this war?

Google lose Ebay AD revenue but Ebay loses visibility. Lot of people knows Google but not Ebay

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks for the link, Paul. That sort of clears is up, I imagine. When Google and Ebay argue, MySpaceStore profits :-)

Trogdor [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

I admit, I don't know for certain they were Googlers; it seemed a safe enough assumption based on the shirt. The description in that blog post does jive pretty well with that I witnessed, and assuming it really was posted on the 18th (before I posted to this forum), then I see little reason to think this isn't the same incident (I guess it could be someone pulling our leg, but I doubt it).

I apologize, then, for assuming it was Googlers who got kicked out; I may've been wrong on that part. However, assuming Alex's story is true, it's safe to say that *eBay* thought they were kicking out Googlers, at any rate. So while my story may be mistaken in who was kicked out, it's still pretty much right on about eBay's response.

Fascinating ...

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Burninating the Googlers, Burininating the peasants and THE THATCHED ROOF COTTAGES!!!!!!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

(I updated the post, thanks Paul & Trogdor!)

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't think they would have been thrown out as Googlers – after all there were others there as well. However, I imagine that it would be very problematic to go to an eBay conference and not only try to promote a competing product but also to discredit eBay's product (if only indirectly). If it were my conference and if I saw that the competition was trying to convert my existing customers then I'd be upset as well. No thanks :-))

Trogdor [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

You're welcome. In a way, even if eBay wasn't kicking out Googlers, they more or less thought that they were. If that makes more sense.

And James, that's funny.
(PS: I never knew what the line after peasants was, 'til now. thanks!)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You should get a dragon Icon for your account here soon. Ask philipp if you can

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sounds like eBay wants a product lock-in – forcing PayPal on its eBay user base, and quieting those who like eBay but would wish to use e.g. Google Checkout.

Nicky_uk [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

LOL! How convenient for that blog to appear so suddenly after the event! Of course they weren't Google employees, they were just 2 blokes who wore Google T-Shirts.......... or were they! (how funny)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!